Lands Village Hall
Lands Village Hall is located almost equal distances between Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle in the Evenwood and Barony Parish. We are a short distance from Cockfield Fell and the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This beautiful part of rural northern England is easily accessible from the A1M.
The village hall is in the centre of High Lands village, at the heart of the local community it serves, including High Lands, Low Lands, Morley and the “Lands Bank” (part of Lands Road).
This part of County Durham used to be heavily industrialised and the Lands developments were established for coal mining in the 1860s, however, by the turn of the 20th Century, the mining industry had moved on and the local pits had closed down.
The village hall was built around 1870-1880 as a Men’s Club and Reading Room for the education of the miners. The building was established on the edge of the open cast pit that made High Lands necessary.
As the coal seam moved away from High Lands, first to the east where another small pit was established before it moved further north east, the need for the old pit buildings faded. Eventually, the Reading Room was became a Chapel School for a short time before it became known as the Institute.
As the Institute, the building was used for social events as well as for educational purposes right through until the 1950s. In the middle of the 20th Century, the Institute was made into a Charitable Trust and became the Lands Village Hall Association.
In this guise, it has been responsible for many day trips to the seaside, plays, seasonal fayres and fates, community celebrations, birthday parties and funeral wakes. The village hall has hosted a lot of clubs, from dominoes to Young Farmers and Yoga.
More information about us
About Lands Village Hall